Classified in 1953, the cru was named after the Tower in the interior courtyard, the only remains of a small fort constructed in the XIIth century by their Montesquieu ancestors. The estate attracted the attention of Edouard Kressmann as soon as his company was founded in 1871 and he advised the owners on vineyard management for a number of years, including grafting and planting parcels by varietal. His eldest son Alfred bought the Château in 1930. With his son Jean, they designed a label for the family’s new Cru wine. They were inspired by the Art Deco movement, which was very much in fashion at the time, to create the famous « gold and sandy stripes » design that still adorns the wine today.